kok体育官方app下载 Web Service
Key Issues - Politics, Political Parties and Elections
Page Compiled: Martin Melaugh
Material is added to this site on a regular basis - information on this page may change
The following links provide information about the political process, political parties, and elections in Northern Ireland. Additional material will be added to this section as it becomes available. Users should also look at information contained in the section on the Peace Process.
selected reading list
Information on the Devolved Government in Northern Ireland including the Northern Ireland Assembly, Executive and other institutions
House of Commons Information Office. (2000) Northern Ireland Business and Legislation House of Commons Factsheets - L No 8 (Previously Factsheet 15) Revised July 2000 [PDF 39k]
politics in Northern Ireland
details of Westminster Governments, Prime Ministers, and Secretaries of State for Northern Ireland, 1968 to the present
- Alcock, Antony. (1994) 'The Unloved, Unwanted Garrison - The Unionist Community in Northern Ireland', in, Understanding Ulster. Lurgan: Ulster Society (Publications) Limited.
- Arthur, Paul. (2000) 'The Endogenous and the Exogenous', in, Special Relationships: Britain, Ireland and the Northern Ireland problem. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- Elliott, Sidney., and Flackes, W.D. (1999) 'Systems of Government', in, Northern Ireland: A Political Directory, 1968-99. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- Connolly, Michael. (1990) 'Political Groupings in Northern Ireland', in, Politics and Policy Making in Northern Ireland. Basingstoke: Macmillan Press Ltd.
- Cochrane, Feargal. (1997) 'The Unionists of Ulster: An Ideological Analysis', in, Unionist Politics and the Politics of Unionism since the Anglo-Irish Agreement. Cork: Cork University Press.
- Lynn, Brendan. (1997) '1964-1969: Eclipse', in, Holding the Ground: The Nationalist Party in Northern Ireland, 1945-1972. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
- McEvoy, Joanne. (2008). Towards Rrestored Devolution, in, The Politics of Northern Ireland. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Porter, Norman. (1996) 'Interpreting Unionism', in, Rethinking Unionism. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- O Connor, Fionnuala. (1993) 'Shifting, complex and ambiguous' Political Allegiance, in, In Search of a State: Catholics in Northern Ireland. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- O'Doherty, Malachi. (1998) 'The Trouble with Guns', in, The Trouble with Guns. Belfast: Blackstaff Press.
- Shirlow, Peter., and McGovern, Mark. (eds) (1997) 'Who are 'the People'? Unionism, Protestantism and Loyalism in Northern Ireland', in, Who are 'the People'? Unionism, Protestantism and Loyalism in Northern Ireland. London: Pluto Press.
- Wilford, Rick., and Wilson, Robin. (2006) The Trouble with Northern Ireland: the Belfast agreement and democratic governance, (April 2006), [PDF; 523KB]. Dublin: TASC at New Island.
contact details for the 26 Local Councils in Northern Ireland
chronological list of the main political initiatives
an outline of the main political 'solutions' to the conflict
Double Jobbing and Family Connections in politics:
- The list of Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) who employ relatives using public funds (as at 26 November 2009)
- List of Family Connections in Northern Ireland Politics, and People who held Multiple Elected Positions (as at 1 December 2003)
- List of People who were Northern Ireland Assembly Members (MLAs) and Serving Councillors (as at 1 December 2003)
Reports by the Independent Monitoring Commission (IMC)
Elections in Northern Ireland
- Elections menu page
- Election Results
- Other Information
- All Election Results 1968 to the Present
see also political cartoons about Northern Ireland
lists of source documents